- Disconnect the crankcase ventilation hose from the fitting on the valve cover.
- Disconnect the wiring connector at the oil control solenoid.
- On early production vehicles, remove the bolts and the appearance cover.
- Position the accelerator cable and speed control cable out of the way.
- Remove the ignition wire and brackets from the spark plugs.
- Remove the bolt, the nut and the front support isolator damper.
- Remove the bolts and the upper timing belt cover.
- Remove the valve cover.
- Inspect the valve cover for damage. Install a new valve cover if necessary.
- CAUTION: Do not use abrasive grinding discs to remove gasket material; only use manual scrapers. Do not scratch or gouge aluminum sealing surfaces or oil leaks may occur.
Clean and inspect the sealing surfaces of the valve cover and the cylinder head. Both surfaces must be clean and flat.
- NOTE: The valve cover gasket and the valve cover must be installed and the bolts tightened to specification within four minutes of sealant application.
Apply a 3 mm (0.1 inch) bead of silicone sealant in two places where the front camshaft bearing cap meets the cylinder head.
- Install the valve cover.
- Position the valve cover gasket.
- Position the valve cover.
- Install the bolts and tighten in the sequence shown.
- Install the upper timing belt cover.
- Install the front support damper.
- Install the damper, the bolt and the nut.
- Install the ignition wire and bracket.
- On early production vehicles, install the oil control sensor connector boot in the engine appearance cover.
- Connect the oil control sensor connector.
- NOTE: The engine appearance cover is only required for early production vehicles.
Install the engine appearance cover.
- Position the engine appearance cover.
- Position the accelerator cable bracket on the engine appearance cover. Install the bolts.
- Connect the crankcase ventilation hose.