- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Disconnect the engine cooling fan motor wiring.
- Remove the fan shroud.
- Raise the vehicle.
- CAUTION: When repairing the exhaust system or removing exhaust components, disconnect the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) at the wiring harness to prevent damage to the sensors and the harness.
Disconnect the heated oxygen sensor wiring connector.
- Disconnect the catalytic converter from the exhaust manifold.
- Remove the bolt and the nut.
- Disconnect the converter from the exhaust manifold.
- Lower the vehicle.
- CAUTION: Do not break the threadlock seal on the oil level indicator tube. Relock if seal is broken to prevent an oil leak from cylinder block.
Remove the oil level indicator tube bracket bolt.
- Remove the bolts, nuts and remove the exhaust manifold heat shield.
- CAUTION: Do not work on the aluminum engine components until the engine is cold or damage may occur.
Remove the exhaust manifold.
- Remove the seven bolts and two studs in the sequence shown.
- Remove the exhaust manifold.
- Discard the exhaust manifold gasket.
- CAUTION: Do not use abrasive grinding discs to remove gasket material; use only plastic manual scrapers. Do not scratch or gouge the aluminum sealing surfaces.
Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.
- Tighten the bolts and nuts in the sequence shown.