Scan Tool Set-up and Functionality
The scan tool must be connected to the Data Link Connector (DLC) for communication with the vehicle.
The DLC is located in the passenger compartment. It is attached to the instrument panel and accessible from the driver's seat.
The DLC is rectangular in design and capable of accommodating up to 16 terminals. The connector has keying features to allow easy connection. The vehicle connector and the test equipment connector have latching features that ensure the test equipment connector will remain mated when properly connected.
The required scan tool functions are described below:
- Monitor, record and playback of PIDs
- Freeze frame PID data
- Diagnostic test modes; self-test, clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs)
- Output Test Mode
- Resetting keep alive memory (KAM)
- Digital measurement system (multimeter functionality)
- Diagnostic monitoring test results (for OBD II on-board monitors)
- On board system readiness (OBD II monitor completion status)
Some of these functions are described. Refer to the scan tool manufacturer's manual for specific information on scan tool set-up and operation.