- Inspect the differential.
- Inspect for damaged or worn gears.
- Inspect for cracked or damaged gear case.
- Use Dial Indicator/Magnetic Base to measure the backlash of the side gears and pinions. If backlash is not within specification, replace the differential as an assembly.
- Install the LH and RH halfshafts.
- Support the halfshafts on V-blocks.
- Measure the backlash of the side gears and pinions.
- Remove the differential pinion shaft lock pin.
- Remove the differential pinion shaft.
- Remove the differential pinion gears and differential pinion thrust washers.
- Remove the differential side gears and differential side gear thrust washers.
- Use (A) Push-Puller Set, (B) Step Plate Adapter Set, (C) Bearing Pulling Attachment and (D) Push-Puller Legs to remove the (E) bearing (speedometer drive gear side).
- Remove the speedometer drive gear.
- Use (A) Puller-Differential Side Bearing and (B) Step Plate Adapter to remove the (C) bearing.
NOTE: Whenever a bearing has been removed, a new bearing must be installed.
- Use a (A) press and (B) Differential Bearing Cone Replacer to install the (C) speedometer drive gear and the (D) bearing.
- Install the differential bearing.
- Align the Differential Bearing Cone Replacer.
- Position the arbor press.
- Press on the differential bearing.
- Install the differential side gear thrust washers and differential side gears.
- Install the differential pinion thrust washers and differential pinion gears.
- Install the differential pinion shaft.
- Install and crimp the pinion shaft lock pin.