Refer to SERVICE PROCEDURE of this bulletin for repair procedure.
Use parts contained in the Front Seat Slide Kit listed in the PARTS INFORMATION section of this bulletin.
If the seatback does not recline, this bulletin does not apply.
Refer to the appropriate section of the Electronic Service Manual (ESM) for further diagnosis.
Do not replace the seat bottom or seat lower assembly for this incident, if it should occur.
The purpose of ACTIONS (above) is to give you a quick idea of the work you will be performing. You MUST closely follow the SERVICE PROCEDURE (as it applies) as it contains information that is essential to successfully completing this repair.
1. Operate the power seatback.
If seatback fore / aft recline operation works normally, go to Step 2.
If seatback fore / aft recline operation does not work at all, this bulletin does not apply.
Refer to the ESM for further diagnosis.
2. Start the engine, let it idle.
This will make the alternator increase the voltage during seat operation.
3. Write down radio station presets.
4. Attempt to move the incident seat forward by repeatedly pressing the seat switch.
If the seat moves forward, go to Step 5 below.
If the seat does not move forward by the 10th attempt of pressing the seat switch, go to "Seat Removal When Seat Will Not Move Forward" below.
5. Remove the seat from the vehicle.
Once the seat is removed, go to "Seat Track Synchronization".
For seat removal procedure, refer to BODY INTERIOR, SEAT of the appropriate ESM.
Before seat removal, turn off the ignition switch, disconnect both battery cables (negative cable first), and then wait at least three (3) minutes.
When removing and installing, use suitable covering to protect the vehicle from damage.
Do not grab onto the thigh extension release lever (Maxima driver seat only) to lift the seat.
Perform seat repairs in a clean work area, such as a work bench with suitable covering.
The outer seat finishers extend to the rear. Be careful when laying the seat on its seatback.
Do not tap, hit, or impact the seat in any way during the entire process of this repair.
The front passenger seat is equipped with an Occupant Detection System sensor and control module. Do not disassemble the front passenger seat cushion assembly or remove the trim as this will affect the Occupant Detection System's calibration.
Seat Removal When Seat Will Not Move Forward
1. Turn off the ignition, and then disconnect both battery cables, negative cable first.
Wait at least three (3) minutes before continuing repairs as stated in the ESM seat removal procedure.
2. Locate the two rivets securing the flex cable protector cover (cover) shown in Figure 1. For easier viewing only: Figure 1 shows the seat already removed.
3. Cover the seat tracks below the rivets (to keep drilled shavings from getting in the tracks).
4. Drill out these rivets with a 3/16 inch drill bit.
When drilling, do not let the drill bit come in contact with the seat harness. Protect the harness as necessary.
1. Place the seat in a clean work area i.e., on fender covers on top of a work bench.
2. For driver seat: Adjust the I/B track 2.0 mm (5/64 inch) further back than the 0/B track.
For passenger seat: Adjust the 0/B track 2.0 mm further back than the I/B track.
The part of the track being adjusted bolts to the floor.
Seat tracks adjustment is performed by spinning the inner cables.
Figure 5 shows a typical seat and track position when taking measurements.
In Figure 5a, the top view is the same for the passenger seat, but the I/B and 0/B track positions are switched.
When measuring, the gear boxes and tracks can be positioned anywhere, as long as they are adjusted to the difference in measurement stated above.
If the cables are not being replaced, adjust the tracks by spinning the inner cable with your fingers. Do not use a drill.
3. Replace both cables only if the procedure Seat Removal When Seat Will Not Move Forward was performed.
Replacement cables come with the slide kit (see PARTS INFORMATION).
a. Insert one end of each cable into each gear box.
Make sure the outer (black) portion of the cable is fully inserted.
b. Twist and push on the inner cable. Figure 7 and 8 show fully seated and not fully seated positions.
4. While gently bending it in the middle, insert the other end of each cable into the drive motor (no picture shown).
Rotate and wiggle the cable as needed to get it fully seated into the motor. Figure 9 and 10 show correct and incorrect installation.
5. If the tracks have moved out of synchronization after cables installation, perform "SEAT TRACK SYNCHRONIZATION" Step 2 as needed.
When making adjustments, use one of the old cables.
Do not bend the new cable excessively when removing it.
Reinstall Flex Cable Protector Cover
1. Once synchronization is complete, if the cover was removed, install it with the two supplied rivets.
Either cover, the existing one or the new one from the kit, can be used.
2. Install the right side rivet first (as viewed from the front of the seat), and then the left side rivet. See Figure 11.
3. Secure the harness and connector clips to the cover. See Figure 11.
1. Reinstall the seat in the vehicle. Refer to BODY INTERIOR, SEAT of the appropriate ESM.
Seat mounting bolts torque sequence: