Inspection and Verification
Exhaust Mounting Points
- Inspect exhaust system welds, clamps, insulators and insulator brackets for cracks or breaks. Shake the exhaust system to identify any exhaust-to-body/chassis contact.
- Use a rubber mallet to lightly tap on exhaust components and heat shields to identify noise and vibration areas.
Possible Exhaust Leakage Points
CAUTION: Do not restrict the tailpipe outlet for periods longer than ten seconds or engine damage may result. Allow engine to run a minimum of one minute between test periods.
- Exhaust leaks are often accompanied by noises and exhaust fumes. Visually inspect the exhaust system to determine the locations of leaks.
- When checking for exhaust leakage, inspect the entire system for burnout holes, split seams and corrosion.
- Examine the underbody and heat shields for grayish-white or black exhaust soot which will indicate exhaust leakage at that point.
- To magnify small leaks, restrict the tailpipe outlet.