WARNING: Adhere to the following procedures any time the fuel system is being worked on in order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury:
- Keep a dry chemical (Class B) fire extinguisher near the work area.
- Place a "CAUTION FLAMMABLE" sign in the work area.
- Work in a well-ventilated area. Do not smoke, and keep sparks and open flames away.
- Wear eye protection.
- Use caution when working near the catalytic converter to prevent the possibility of burns or fire. (The temperatures within the converter can exceed 537 °C (1000 °F).
- Relieve the fuel system pressure prior to disconnecting fuel system components.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable except for tests where battery voltage is required.
- Use a suitable container to store or catch fuel.
- Do not replace fuel pipe with fuel hose.
- Plug all disconnected fuel line fittings and hoses.
- After making any fuel system repairs ALWAYS inspect for fuel leaks.