- Drain the engine coolant.
NOTE: If a heater core leak is suspected, the heater core must be leak tested before the heater core is removed.
- Remove the air cleaner outlet tube.
- Disconnect the heater water hoses from the heater core.
- Remove the instrument panel. For additional information, refer to: Dashboard/Instrument Panel See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair
- Detach the antenna lead from the heater core housing.
- Disconnect the vacuum control motor vacuum connector.
- Detach the vacuum lines from the A/C evaporator housing retainer.
- Remove the windshield defroster nozzle connectors.
- Remove the pin-type retainers.
- Remove the screws and the windshield defroster nozzle connectors.
- Loosen the A/C evaporator outlet duct clamp screw.
- Remove the lower heater core housing retaining nut.
- Remove the upper heater core housing retaining nuts and the heater core housing.
- Remove the heater dash panel seal.
- Remove the screws and the heater core cover.
- Remove the heater core.
- To install, reverse the removal procedure.
- Lubricate the coolant hoses with MERPOL(R) meeting Ford specification ESE-M99B144-B or plain water only, if needed.